So, ahead of my next Instagram Live cookalong session with chef Jan Ostle from Wilson’s restaurant at 7pm on Friday 12thJune, as promised, see below my wine choices to go with Jan’s roe deer, celeriac and redcurrants.
Some of you may have been lucky enough to have got your hands on the Principio Moristel, Bodega Pirineos, 2017 from Spain direct from Wilson’s, but as it’s now sold out, here are some easy-to-buy supermarket alternatives, so grab these ahed of Friday night dinner if you can!
Rocca Pagliara Appassimento 2019 (Puglia, Italy)
- £9 (M&S)
- Blend of three grapes (Negroamaro, Lambrusco and Merlot) and made by drying the grapes on the vine to concentrate the richness of the wine.
- Sugar plum nose with liquorice and spice.
- Forrest fruit berry flavours along with juicy plums, liquorice and spice on the finish. Gentle tannins complement the sweetness.
Porta 6 2018 (Lisbon, Portugal)
- From £7.50 (Co-Op / Majestic / Sainsbury’s)
- A blend of three grapes (Tinta Roriz, Castelão and Touriga Nacional).
- Blackcurrant compote nose.
- Blackcurrant stalkiness and a little bright raspberry on the finish. Rich but playful.
Tulga Joven Toro 2018 (Toro, Spain)
- £6.99 (Lidl)
- A wine from north-west of Madrid and made from Tempranillo grapes.
- Rich and smoky with a ripe plum and vanilla nose with a twist of black pepper (less fruit driven than the others).
- Tastes full of spicy, plummy sweet fruit with vanilla hints and a rich texture thanks to oak. There’s also a pleasing peppery finish.
Earth’s Essence Shiraz 2019 (Swartland, South Africa)
- £5.99 (Aldi)
- Nose of violets and leather belts.
- Violet and blackcurrant. Spice and texture throughout. Gentle tannins. Rich and warming. Juicy finish.
- Naturally preserved using a patented wine making process from South Africa. No sulphites or synthetic preservatives were added, keeping this wine as natural as possible.
As you may know, food boxes are available to pre-order at www.wilsonsingredients.co.uk and if you managed to buy a box, on top of the incredibly delicious ingredients and the method to go with them, each box contains a can of refreshing gin and tonic thanks to the lovely team at 6 O’Clock Gin of Thornbury (for the chef to sip while cooking!) So, come join us for gin, wine, incredible food and a masterclass from one of the best chefs in the country.
Click on @wilsonsbristol or @tvsandyclarke to join in the live culinary fun.
See you there!